Monday, May 31, 2010

Frida Kahlo.

I've always had a bit of knowledge about her artworks but not so much of her life and how she became such a strong artist. Today, at the academy we watched the film "Frida" based on her life (played by Salma Hayek). It was quite a confronting movie and a shocking one at that. It is definitely a movie worth watching. After seeing it, it made me appreciate her works even more. Her entire life can be seen as a tragic and painful journey but the paintings she has created out of her experiences has made it almost worthwhile, but to some extent sympathetic.

Frida Kahlo (1907-1954). One of the most influential Mexican painters.


One particular line I will probably always remember;
“I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.” - Frida Kahlo

No comments:

Post a Comment